Peas or Gummy Bears?
That is the question I ask myself weekly. Why? Because I never know what my 3-year-old will stick up her nose this week. I always wonder if I am the only “dad” going through this “DELIGHTFUL” period of raising a child.
Last year, I stumbled upon a great podcast called “The Dadcast”. Comedic Super Dads Nick Nieblas and Shawn Warner take you through the hilarious adventures of fatherhood as they discuss various topics with a weekly Top Five List.
I connected with them instantly. This “hooked me” because I shared common past experiences with them.
Isn’t that also what we want with our listeners? To connect with them? Of course, we do!
So, you are probably asking yourself “how can podcasts help me do that?”. Keep reading and I will share 40 Things You Can EASILY Talk About in a podcast!
First, a few statistics to think about. Podcast statistics unveil a lot of truths about modern consumer behavior and the rise of audio as a content marketing avenue. Edison Research have released their 2018 podcast statistics as part of their annual Infinite Dial study. Edison uncovered several new trends and multiple continuations of podcast patterns that first started to appear in 2015.
I’ve pulled out some of the most interesting facts about podcasting from The Infinite Dial research.
- 64% of Americans have heard of podcasts.
- More Americans know what a podcast is than know who the Vice President is.
- 44% of Americans have ever Listened to a podcast.
- 12 million people listened to a podcast for the first time in the last year.
- 26% of Americans listen to podcasts monthly.
- One-third of Americans ages 25 to 54 listens to podcasts monthly.
- Podcast listening among American women jumped 14% in one year.
- In 2018, six million more Americans listen to podcasts weekly versus 2017.
- More than twice as many Americans listen to podcasts weekly vs. watching Sunday Night Football.
- Podcast Fans Listen to 40% more shows than last year.
- Podcast fans listen to an average of 7 shows per week.
- 80% of podcast listeners hear all or most of each episode they consume.
- 23% of Americans have listened to podcasts in the car.
- 49% of podcasts are listened to at home.
- 18% of Americans now own smart speakers.
- Smart speaker (Alexa, et al.) ownership in America grew 157% in one year.
- 33% of smart speaker owners have more than one device.
- 69% of podcasts are consumed on a mobile device.